Out of office (was Re: [RESADM-L] Who pays for Clinical Trials) Herbert B. Chermside 03 May 2001 06:41 EST

At 05:17 PM 4/26/01 -0500, you wrote:
>This is a tough issue. If anyone has a solution, I'd like to know as well.
>We currently put a "hold" on all charges when a patient is enrolled in a
>study. All charges effectively accrue to a dummy account which is reviewed
>by the research nurse or project personnel monthly. All standard of care
>charges are backed out to the client account and the research charges are
>transferred to the appropriate cost center. We do have a standard of care
>charge code and a research charge code for each charge which does help. This
>is a very labor intensive process and is prone to a certain amount of error.
>We have some checks in place and our process has improved greatly over the
>last couple of years. We're always looking for a better way.
>
>Another solution is to require that all charges on a research study be paid
>by the sponsor, but as you know, sponsors don't get overly excited when this
>approach is used...Bill
>
>Bill Caskey, PhD
>Director, Research & Grants Administration
>Children's Mercy Hospital
>2401 Gillham Road
>Kansas City, MO  64108
>
>Voice:(816) 234-3879
>FAX:(816) 855-1982
>E-mail:  xxxxxx@cmh.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@cmh.edu>
>

>This communication is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It
>may contain information which is privileged or confidential under
>applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient or the agent of
>the recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or
>disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
>received this communication in error, please immediately notify The
>Children's Mercy Hospital at 816-234-3879 or via return Internet
>electronic mail at xxxxxx@cmh.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@cmh.edu>  and expunge
>this communication without making any copies.  Thank you for your
>cooperation.

I will be out of the office until Thursday morning,
 May 3, 2001.
I'll read your mail when I return.
If you need immediate help from VCU's Office of
Sponsored Programs, e-mail the Office at
 xxxxxx@vcu.edu
or telephone 828-6772 and a staff member will assist you.
Chuck

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568