Re: Graduate Student working at Sponsor's site. Herbert B. Chermside 25 Apr 2001 11:29 EST

Make an agreement that fits the facts.  For example, maybe your (home
institution) gains IP rights because the work is done in its facilities --
but if the student is at the host's facilities, that would not apply.  On
the other hand, maybe you (home) claim rights to all of student's IP just
because he's your student (highly unlikely, but a for instance) and the
host claims IP because of use of host's facilities, you have a
conflict.  Resolve it by stating the facts and what has been agreed by the
two institutions.

I 'spect you'll find that there is not conflict between institutional
policies given the facts of the situation.

Chuck

At 10:21 AM 4/25/01 -0500, you wrote:
>We have a graduate student who will be working at a research institute, in a
>foreign country, which may or may not be relevant.   The research institute
>is concerned that since the student has an IP agreement with the university
>that any IP developed with the student's involvement at the research
>institute not be claimed by the university.  Does anyone have any language
>that would address this issue that you may have used in a similar situation,
>that might relieve the institute's concerns?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Mike

>Mike Gilles <xxxxxx@mtu.edu>
>Senior Contracts Analyst