Re: F&A on Federal Clinical Trials Tom Wilson 25 Apr 2001 08:18 EST

We use the same rate for clinical and basic science studies funded by the
federal government.  However, when performing a clinical study, many of the
expenses are out of the base for calculating F & A (patient care
expenses).  Unless you have negotiated a separate rate (lower rate applied
to a TDC base) for clinical studies with the feds, you should ALWAYS be
using the negotiated rate.

Tom Wilson

At 04:44 PM 4/24/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear colleagues.  I'm interested in determining how other institutions
>recover F&A costs on government sponsored clinical trials.  It appears
>that many schools charge F&A in the 20 to 30 % range for
>industry sponsored trials conducted in a clinic setting.
>
>What rate does your institution charge for clinical trials sponsored by
>the government?
>
>Do you use a different F&A rate for trials indirectly sponsored by the
>government through subcontract arrangements?
>
>How do you treat federal awards that have both a research (coordinating
>center function) and a clinical trial component?
>
>Since everyone is much too busy for questionnaires, short answers will
>suffice.  Thanks so much for your help
>
>--
>Kent Walker
>Chief Contract Administrator