Re: Advice please Jennifer Donais 19 Apr 2001 11:43 EST

Tim - is it possible for your institution to subcontract with the Ph.D.
student's institution to cover his stipend, etc.  This way, he is paid by his
institution, potentially making him eligible for tuition remission & health
insurance there.  Of course, NSF would have to approve the arrangement as a
subaward, but that approach might accomplish what you're trying to do.
-jennifer donais

Tim Sparklin wrote:

> I'm looking for advice for the following:
>
> One of our PIs, with an NSF grant, wants to hire a Ph.D. grad student
> from the U.K. to work on his project.  This would be someone who will
> not be a grad student as recognized by our graduate school (thus
> entitled to institutional tuition remission, stipend and health
> insurance).  But the PI wants to provide a stipend and tuition at the
> student's home institution.
>
> Is this feasible? Or, are there other alternatives?  I don't see
> anything in the NSF guidelines that helps me understand.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Tim

>                       Name: sparklin.vcf
>    sparklin.vcf       Type: VCard (text/x-vcard)
>                   Encoding: 7BIT

Jennifer Donais, CRA
Assistant Director
Office of Grant & Contract Administration
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003
(413) 545-5888 FAX (413) 577-1595
http://www.umass.edu/research/ogca