Re: Advice please Maggie Griscavage 19 Apr 2001 11:33 EST

Tim,

I belive you have two options. Either you could subcontract to the UK
university (and it's OK, I've done it before), or you could pay the grad
student directly as a consultant (generally frowned upon by the other
institution because they miss out on F&A, but they could issue a waiver) and
let the grad pay his own tuition out of his earnings. Just be sure your
budget is within variance tolerance if you don't have prior approval from
NSF.

Maggie.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Tim Sparklin
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2001 11:16 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Advice please

I'm looking for advice for the following:

One of our PIs, with an NSF grant, wants to hire a Ph.D. grad student
from the U.K. to work on his project.  This would be someone who will
not be a grad student as recognized by our graduate school (thus
entitled to institutional tuition remission, stipend and health
insurance).  But the PI wants to provide a stipend and tuition at the
student's home institution.

Is this feasible? Or, are there other alternatives?  I don't see
anything in the NSF guidelines that helps me understand.

Thank you!

Tim