FW: NEH Summer Stipends Roxey, Donna 13 Apr 2001 08:17 EST

> Hi everyone,
 I processed an NEH summer stipend proposal through our office; and the PI
is getting the award.  She has told me that the stipend is to go directly to
her and not through our office.  I called NEH to check this out and was told
that this is indeed true--that the only reason NEH wants institutions
involved at the proposal stage is to ensure that only 1 junior and 1 senior
application is made per institution.  I explained to the NEH official that
the PI will get the stipend if administered by us, but she stated that the
stipend is an 'individual' award, that the PI signs the acceptance form and
is paid directly.  This does help explain why the guidelines request that
the PI sign the cover sheet, along with the nominating official, but not the
usual institutional signature.  Our office orchestrated the nomination
process, so we signed.  Please let me know if you have administered a summer
stipend, or if these are not handled by your office.