Re: NACM Conference Experience??? Atella,Mary 11 Apr 2001 15:41 EST

I can give the NACM program a strong recommendation.  I attended their
conference in Las Vegas in April of 1999 with the intention of getting a
good overview of the various payment methods that the Feds use.  The
curriculum sounded very similar to what you list below (and that's a lot to
cover in 2.5 days).  I found it to be very worthwhile and I remember
thinking that it would be even better for the actual grant accountant level.

Mary Atella
Director, Sponsored Programs Services
Colorado State University
phone:   (970) 491-2083
fax:   (970) 491-6147
email:   xxxxxx@colostate.edu

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Barbara Gray [mailto:xxxxxx@COFC.EDU]
Sent:   Wednesday, April 11, 2001 2:27 PM
To:     xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject:        [RESADM-L] NACM Conference Experience???

Hi, everyone,

We have a new grants accountant and would like to give her some
professional development opportunities.  We do plan to send her to NCURA
fundamentals as soon as we can to get the big picture of university
research administration.  In the meantime, I'm wondering about the
quality of a conference that I just received a flyer for.  It is a 2.5
day conference in June in Baltimore, called "How to Get Paid by Uncle
Sam," that is sponsored by the National Association of Credit
Management.   I am not a financial type and I'm unfamiliar with this
association, so I don't know if this would be a good conference for her.

The conference is billed as a "grants and research finance and
administration seminar" and covers such topics as PMS, electronic 272
filing, submitting interim and final financial reports, DOD's electronic
billing system; allowable costs, government invoice inquiry screens and
systems accessble throug the net, submitting public vouchers to DFAS
directly, electronic updates (EDI, EFT, etc.), prompt payment act and
getting paid interest when not paid on time, DEd's business practices
and reporting re: student financial aid, NSF Fastlane business
functions, SF34, DD250, ONR billing rates and payment process, OMB
circulars, etc.

The registration fee is $550.

If any of you have attended one of these NACM conferences, I'd like to
know how you rate them, if you think this one would be appropriate for
someone new to grants accounting (but not general accounting), and if it
is worth the money.

As always, thanks!
Barbara

Barbara H. Gray, Director
Office of Research & Grants Administration
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424
Campus Location:  407-G Bell Bldg.
Office: 843.953.5673  Desk: 843.953.5885  Fax:  843.953.6577
e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu   URL: http://www.orga.cofc.edu/