Re: thanks and another question Herbert B. Chermside 16 Mar 2001 16:27 EST

The limit of summer salary to 2/9 of AY salary is an NSF limitation.  (They
seem to think that all work and no play, i.e., no vacation at all, makes
Johnny a dull boy!) No other major federal agency applies this
limitation.  So, under another agency, or the sum of two awards from two
agencies, summer salary could equal 3/9.

But the BASE SALARY may not be augmented as the result of a federal grant
-- see A-21.

Chuck

At 03:45 PM 3/16/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks to all of you who answered my question about PIs leaving the
>institution - it was very helpful.  Another question - sometimes faculty
>ask about additional income from a grant.  I give them the standard -
>release time, 2/9 salary during the summer.  And for some, they just don't
>feel it is worth the effort. They are asking can they get more than 2/9
>salary so they can see real income benefits to writing and getting
>grants.  My question is - are there regulations (EDGAR) about this,  is
>the 2/9 a set formula or somewhat arbitrary?
>
>Thanks, Mary

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568