Re: thanks and another question Howard M. Kaplan 16 Mar 2001 16:20 EST

Mary -

 I know that the National Science Foundation explicitly limits summer
support to 2/9 of the Academic Year salary.  I know that the National
Institutes of Health make no such restriction.  In fact, on several NIH
grants, we have treated 100% effort during the summer as representing three
months of full-time effort; and the grant budget has provided these faculty
members with 33.33% (a.k.a. 3/9) of their academic year salaries.
 The guidelines from other funding agencies/organizations either are silent
on this issue - in effect, acknowledging that this is an institutional
decision - or suggest/require that summer support be limited to 2/9, 1/3, or
something in between.

Best regards,
Howie Kaplan
Director, Research Services & Sponsored Progs.
Georgia Southern University
Hwy. 301 So. Office Bldg., P.O. Box 8005
Statesboro, GA 30460-8005
912-681-5465; FAX: 912-681-0719
xxxxxx@gasou.edu