Re: IRB Fees Again Doug Wilkerson 15 Mar 2001 08:57 EST

The policy of the Medical College of Ohio is to charge a $1,500 IRB fee for industry sponsored clinical trials.  This is a "cradle to grave" fee and includes review of ads, amendments, etc., as well as continuing review.  This policy is available at the following URL:  <http://www.mco.edu/research/irb_review_charge.pdf>.  My office instructs our accounting folks to invoice the company as soon as the IRB protocol is reviewed at its first IRB meeting, even if it has not been approved fully (it is a fee for "review", not "approval) , but we recognize that most companies will not pay the fee until after the contract is executed.  Most companies that we have dealt with to-date paid the IRB fee separately, but in the few instances where they included it in the first contract payment, we simply transferred the fee (sans F&A cost) from the sponsored project account to the IRB account.

doug

Date:    Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:27:34 -0600
From:    Tim Atkinson <xxxxxx@UAMS.EDU>
Subject: IRB Fees Again

Let's do this survey again...

How much is your current IRB fee for industry sponsored clinical trials?

What office at your institution is responsible for actually collecting the
fee?

Do you charge a fee for continuing review? How much?

Your Opinion: Is it best to collect the up-front fee and the continuing
review fee together or try to go back and get the continuing review fee
later on? (I'll tell you my view..."It hasn't been easy to get that
continuing review fee out of the company later on..Heck, sometimes it's hard
for us to get the up-front fee.) Suggest a method.

Respond privately if you want. I'll gladly distribute results.

(With all due respect...hit me with your best shot, Mr. Chermside.)

Thanks,
Tim

Timothy N. Atkinson
Director, Office of Research Administration
Little Rock, AR 72205
Phone: 501-686-8845
Fax: 501-686-8359
Fax2: 202-318-7225

Doug Wilkerson, Ph.D.              Phone:   (419) 383-4252
Assoc. Vice Pres. for Research  Fax:     (419) 383-4262
Professor of Pharmacology         E-mail:   xxxxxx@mco.edu
Research & Grants Admin.          Web: www.mco.edu/research
Block Health Sci. Bldg., Rm. 148
3035 Arlington Ave.