Re: protocol? Claire L. Carlson 14 Mar 2001 13:33 EST

If the grant is for an individual research project, the general practice is
to let it go to the new institution with the PI.  If there are several
co-investigators involved, then you have to decide if the majority of the
work is staying or going to determine who will be the prime and who a
subcontractor, and then get sponsor approval of the proposed new
arrangement.  If it is an institutional improvement type grant, or an
institutionalized program like Upward Bound, then it generally stays at the
University and someone replaces the PI (with sponsor approval, of course).

Claire L. Carlson
Associate VP for Research
The University of Montana

 to At 09:48 AM 03/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello. I am new to the list and fairly new to my position. I have a two
>part question and would appreciate your feedback. Here goes:
>
>My provost has asked under what circumstances would an institution not
>allow the grant to follow the PI to his/her new institution; I told him it
>is customary for a university to allow the grants to go with the PI, that
>it is common practice.  So a two-part question, what is customary and why,
>and under what circumstances would a university deny?
>

>thanks !

Claire L. Carlson
Associate Vice President for Research
The University of Montana