Re: protocol? Altieri, Joanne 14 Mar 2001 10:49 EST

There are projects that are inherently institutional, and not your typical
RO1 that would follow the PI.  Remember, the awards are made to the
institution, not the PI, so at KU, the chair or director of the
department/unit makes the decision on whether or not a leaving faculty
member takes a sponsored project with him/her.  In most cases, the project
is dependent on the PI and it wouldn't make sense for the university to
prevent the project from leaving with the PI.  But we have definitely had
projects that were based at KU and it made perfect sense to appoint a
different PI and keep the project here.  Sometimes in a case like that we
would subcontract a portion of the project (if necessary) to the leaving PIs
new institution.

Joanne K. Altieri
Interim Director
Contract Negotiations and Research Compliance
University of Kansas and
University of Kansas Center for Research, Inc.
2385 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS  66045-7563
Phone:  785/864-7462
Fax:  785/864-5049