Re: protocol? Ruth Tallman 14 Mar 2001 10:57 EST

Mary,

In my experience, the grant usually goes with the PI.  If it is a single investigator award and it is for his research, it makes sense to move with the investigator.

If the project is very specific to your institution or region such as an educational program, it may make sense to request approval to change investigators and keep the project at the university.

If there are two investigators and one is staying.  Then your institution may want to press the issue of keeping the grant at your institution and subcontracting to the investigator at the new institution.  In my experience, if the lead investigator is moving, the grant goes and a subcontract comes back.  However, it's negotiable between the
investigator, the agency and the institution.

The toughest situation in my experience has been when an investigator left and wanted to take equipment.  The investigator had spearheaded the proposals to obtain the equipment; however, the university had cost-shared it and other investigators were in line to utilize it.

Welcome to research administration!

Ruth Tallman
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Lehigh University
526 Brodhead Avenue
Bethlehem, PA  18015
Phone:   (610)758-3024