Re: IRB Fees Again Hansen, Debra 14 Mar 2001 08:54 EST

At MMREF, we typically charge a one time fee of $1,500 - $2,000 or more if
we can get it.  Based on our most recent analysis, the average cost per
protocol (over it's entire life) is closer to $3,500.

We rely on our Clinical Research Studies Managers to issue the invoices and
verify that it has actually been collected.  To my surprise, they believe
that this is the most efficient way of handling it!

Thanks for collecting the data.  I'd like to get a copy of the results.

Deb

Debra K. Hansen
Director of Sponsored Programs and Fiscal Affairs
Marshfield Medical Research and Education Foundation,
a Division of Marshfield Clinic
1000 N Oak Avenue - 1R3
Marshfield, WI   54449
715-387-9130
xxxxxx@mfldclin.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Atkinson [mailto:xxxxxx@UAMS.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 7:28 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] IRB Fees Again

Let's do this survey again...

How much is your current IRB fee for industry sponsored clinical trials?

What office at your institution is responsible for actually collecting the
fee?

Do you charge a fee for continuing review? How much?

Your Opinion: Is it best to collect the up-front fee and the continuing
review fee together or try to go back and get the continuing review fee
later on? (I'll tell you my view..."It hasn't been easy to get that
continuing review fee out of the company later on..Heck, sometimes it's hard
for us to get the up-front fee.) Suggest a method.

Respond privately if you want. I'll gladly distribute results.

(With all due respect...hit me with your best shot, Mr. Chermside.)

Thanks,
Tim

Timothy N. Atkinson
Director, Office of Research Administration
Little Rock, AR 72205
Phone: 501-686-8845
Fax: 501-686-8359
Fax2: 202-318-7225