Re: Insurance requirements regarding subcontractors/independent consu ltants Herbert B. Chermside 13 Mar 2001 14:42 EST

1)      If you can get your sub- to indemnify, go for it --- but don't try
it on me, a state university.

2)      Talk to your own risk management people to determine what they
think you should require of subs.  On the whole, other universities will be
well covered.  But subs which are small non-profits may not be.

3)      Traditionally commercial firms contracting with other commercial
firms request that the fundee list the fundor as a co-insured.  Generally,
university subs will not agree to that, because of the time and cost of
doing it, or, as in my case, being self insured under state law I cannot do
it.  But it might be wise in the case of a sub- that you think is
shakey.  Again, use your own risk management people as sounding boards --
it is their specialty, remember!

Chuck

At 11:44 AM 3/13/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I am rather new at this and would appreciate any advice, opinions and/or
>examples.  Thanks.
>
>What are your general insurance requirements for subcontractors/independent
>consultants on federal and private grants?
>
>When do you require your institution to be named as an additional insured?
>
>I understand that there really must be a case by case review based on the
>scope of work, the level of risk involved and whether you are dealing with
>an institution or individual consultant -- but I would appreciate any
>starting points or guidelines you all might use.

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568