Re: COI and Reporting Herbert B. Chermside 20 Feb 2001 15:40 EST

At
http://views.vcu.edu/ospa/OSPA_Guidelines/App_Proc.htm
go to the bottom of the page.  There are other links there.
Please be aware that our attorney advised, some years ago, that we not do
an institutional COI policy of a general nature because of the state COI
Act.  Because of the state Act,  a)  every time the legislature changes it
(at that time they were "fine tuning" it every year or two!) it could
outdate an institutional policy, and   b)  if our policy were more
stringent than the state Act, that might cause conflict or discontent.  The
climate has changed over the last decade, and he might advise differently
today.

Note:  OHRP is making major noises that IRB's should be concerned with COI
in relation to protocols they review.  I suggest that any thing you put in
place to meet that OHRP expectation NOT supercede or supplant any regular
COI policy you have, but mesh with it -- maybe the IRB (or a member) would
participate, as an expert in the discipline, in judging how to manage any
COI that might appear to be present.

Chuck

At 12:37 PM 2/20/01 -0600, you wrote:
>We are refining our Conflict of Interest Policy.
>
>If it's okay, please send me a copy of your current conflict of interest
>policy in Word format or just give me the web link if you have one. I'd like
>to make some comparisons and benchmarks.
>
>Of course, just email this privately if you are willing to share it.
>
>Thank you,
>Tim
>
>Timothy N. Atkinson
>Director, Office of Research Administration
>University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
>4301 West Markham, SLOT 812
>Little Rock, AR 72205
>Phone: 501-686-8845
>Fax: 501-686-8359