Re: signature authority John D. Pepe 15 Feb 2001 16:24 EST

Matt -

Prior to delegating signatory authority to others, a board resolution
something to the effect of the following might be necessary:

RESOLVED, that in addition to the DIRECTOR, OFFICE OF SPONSORED PROGRAMS
ADMINISTRATION of ______, his or her designee is also hereby authorized to
make, execute and approve on behalf of this _________, any and all contracts
and to execute and approve on behalf of this ________, other instruments, a
part of or incident to such contracts; effective until otherwise ordered by
the Board of Directors.

John D. Pepe
Controller
Stroud Water Research Center
970 Spencer Road
Avondale, PA 19311-9514

VOICE: (610) 268-2153, ext. 253 FAX: (610) 268-0490 E-MAIL:
xxxxxx@stroudcenter.org
Please visit us on the Web: www.stroudcenter.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org]On Behalf Of
Matthew Clark
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 2:30 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] signature authority

Hi everyone,

I'm currently struggling under the burden of being the only person signing
proposals (about 2000/year) and awards (including both complicated ones and
simple ones like increments), as well as all assurances, reps and certs,
requests for no cost time extensions, etc.   It's not the most efficient
way of doing things, so I've been investigating the best way to provide
signature authority for some of the very capable staff here and I'd like
your advice.

I know some of you have steps of signature authority that your staff can
aspire to. But I've also heard that I'm not alone with the model I've
inherited.  Will you share your policies and, if you do have a stepped
plan, will you share that too?

Thanks very much.
-Matt

Matthew E. Clark, JD
Director, Office of Sponsored Programs Administration
Iowa State University
(515)294-5225