Re: Cost sharing questions Quinn, Bradley L 25 Jan 2001 12:47 EST

We rarely use volunteer (in-kind) effort for cost sharing.  When we do, the
documentation criteria in section .__23d, A-110 are followed.  We will allow
a reasonable benefits and payroll taxes allowance and apply the appropriate
University's indirect cost rate, subject to the awarding agency approval in
.__23b, A-110.  The donated labor and benefits would be included in the MTDC
base.

From: John D. Pepe [mailto:xxxxxx@STROUDCENTER.ORG]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 8:04 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: Cost sharing questions

Craig -

My understanding related to your scenario:

First, volunteer time supported by a valid effort reporting time/log sheet
would be acceptable as an in-kind match.  Also, the value of volunteer
services provided should be determined by the prevailing wage paid for
similar duties performed, and is not necessarily limited to minimum wage.

Secondly, even though volunteer wages are not expensed in the accounting
system, F&A on this amount can still be determined and recognized as cost
share.  The value of "material" volunteer services enters the F&A mix when
the rate is determined/negotiated with the federal cognizant agency since it
becomes a component of the denominator in determining the rate.

John D. Pepe
Controller
Stroud Water Research Center
970 Spencer Road
Avondale, PA 19311-9514

Voice: (610) 268-2153, ext. 253 Fax: (610) 268-0490 E-mail:
xxxxxx@stroudcenter.org