Re: Security Officer Herbert B. Chermside 25 Jan 2001 08:47 EST

Our institution has only very recently had reason that one or two pi's need to
handle classified material.  We do not have any institutional security
clearance, nor the infrastructure to support it.  In each instance our
agreement is with an industrial concern, and the individual already has a
security clearance.  We have solved this by having the agreement require
that the PI's activity involving security material be conducted on the
sponsor's site, and that no security material be on our site.  Maybe you
can solve your immediate problem this way.

Infrastructure for institutional security clearance has a cost.  Be sure
that this is recognized, and someone is committed to footing the bill,
before getting into that matter.  At a previous institution the
infrastructure included Security Officer as an ancillary duty for an
individual in the research office (who already had clearance), a safe under
that individual's control, a "secure" work space that PI's came to, and, of
course, procedures and records.  This was before computers became tools of
the trade.  (Hmmm. Am I that old?)  If you have to go that way, discuss it
with experienced colleagues!  This is a compliance matter that has real
teeth in it.

Chuck

At 06:22 PM 1/24/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Joe;
>
>It is not clear to me if you are asking about the industrial security
>officer of an institution that has a facility clearance or whether the Air
>Force has asked that the campus security office provide information
>concerning your faculty member for clearance application purposes.  The
>latter may be the case but I would be surprised since that usually occurs in
>the background investigation that will follow.
>
>In a previous University life I was the "Industrial Security Officer", and
>in order for your institution to have/need one you must have a facility
>clearance issued by a DOD, Energy or other more shadowy federal agency (if
>your University dabbles in this stuff).  This means your institution has an
>active need (defined as contracts in hand that require access to classified
>material).
>
>If your institution does not have a facility clearance I don't believe you
>will be able to submit an application for a security clearance for your
>faculty member.  This must be submitted by and through the Air Force and
>presumably your faculty member is consulting with them.
>
>For more info see the Web site below and enjoy the acronyms.
>
>http://www.dss.mil/isec/nispom.htm
>
>Gary
>
>Gary Chaffins
>Director, Office of Research Services and Administration
>5219 University of Oregon
>Eugene, OR 97403-5219
>Office: (541) 346-2395
>Fax: (541) 346-5138