Re: Security Officer Chaffins, Gary 24 Jan 2001 21:22 EST

Joe;

It is not clear to me if you are asking about the industrial security
officer of an institution that has a facility clearance or whether the Air
Force has asked that the campus security office provide information
concerning your faculty member for clearance application purposes.  The
latter may be the case but I would be surprised since that usually occurs in
the background investigation that will follow.

In a previous University life I was the "Industrial Security Officer", and
in order for your institution to have/need one you must have a facility
clearance issued by a DOD, Energy or other more shadowy federal agency (if
your University dabbles in this stuff).  This means your institution has an
active need (defined as contracts in hand that require access to classified
material).

If your institution does not have a facility clearance I don't believe you
will be able to submit an application for a security clearance for your
faculty member.  This must be submitted by and through the Air Force and
presumably your faculty member is consulting with them.

For more info see the Web site below and enjoy the acronyms.

http://www.dss.mil/isec/nispom.htm

Gary

Gary Chaffins
Director, Office of Research Services and Administration
5219 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5219
Office: (541) 346-2395
Fax: (541) 346-5138