Re: Compensation for Employees/Nonemployees Schoen, Alexander 17 Jan 2001 15:22 EST

There is no way a voluntary research participant should be considered an
employee.  Stipends are usually meant to reimburse participants for the time
they spent on the trial or for travel expenses, but that does not constitute
an employer employee relationship.  They aren't producing anything for you.
Their participation is voluntary, they can drop out of the trial at any
time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Peggy Sandoe
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 2:58 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: Compensation for Employees/Nonemployees

I would feel that that the participation is voluntary but the tax
department's view on this matter is that if we are paying this person a
stipend (which we are) then their participation is not voluntary - it is the
same as being an employee - in other words if you or I do not show up for
work we do not get paid; therefore a voluntary research participant is the
same as an employee if we are paying them a stipend for being part of a
study.

I would love to view the IRS requirement on this, could you tell me where I
could find it?

>>> xxxxxx@CMH.EDU - 1/17/01 1:12 PM >>>
I completely agree with other respondents regarding the voluntary nature of
participating in a clinical trial. Employees that participate in a clinical
trial should be doing so "on their own time" as well. Since the
participation is voluntary, the argument of your tax department falls apart.
However, there is an IRS requirement that any person (non-employee) receive
a 1099 from an organization when they have received $600 or more in any
calendar year from that organization. We've instituted a process of tracking
clinical trials participation by social security number within our
accounting system so we can generate 1099s for people as appropriate each
January. And, we include in our informed consent a paragraph noting this
requirement and informing the study subject that the 1099 will be generated
and reported to the IRS...Bill

Bill Caskey, PhD
Director, Research & Grants Administration
Children's Mercy Hospital
2401 Gillham Road
Kansas City, MO  64108

Voice:(816) 234-3879
FAX:(816) 855-1982
E-mail:  xxxxxx@cmh.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@cmh.edu>

This communication is intended only for the use of the addressee.  It
may contain information which is privileged or confidential under
applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient or the agent of
the recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or
disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please immediately notify The
Children's Mercy Hospital at 816-234-3879 or via return Internet
electronic mail at xxxxxx@cmh.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@cmh.edu>  and expunge
this communication without making any copies.  Thank you for your
cooperation.