Re: "provisional patent application" Tom Meischeid 17 Jan 2001 10:54 EST
Richard,

my experience tells me that the provisional filing will buy you an additional
twelve months at minimal cost.
by the end of the twelve months you will have the opportunity to more fully
develop the technology, find a partner to fund additional research, pay the
filing costs should you decide to file a utility application or foreign
filings (which are expensive), which will entail making claims in the
application.
the provisional is probably a good alternative to take at this point, it will
at least protect the technology in an early stage

Tom