Re: Sponsored programs impact? Herran, F. Edward 09 Jan 2001 08:22 EST

The Indiana University Medical School is in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Three years ago we commissioned a study on the financial impact of
$1.00 of research and the "mulitplier."  We found our multiplier to
be quite high because it is basically new money coming into the
region.  Our multiplier was 4.5.

Ed.

F. Edward Herran
Director, Medicine Research Administration
Indiana University Medical Center
Ph.      317-274-8664
Fax      317-274-7499
email:  xxxxxx@iupui.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Farnsworth, Franci [mailto:xxxxxx@JAGUAR.MIDDLEBURY.EDU]
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 10:11 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Sponsored programs impact?

I've been asked if there is a generally accepted "investment multiplier"
that can be used to determine the ultimate impact of external funding -- as
in, "for every $1 of external funding invested in research, infrastructure,
and faculty development at our institution we can expect to receive an
additional $xxx in external funding in the future".      I have heard that
20-30 years ago, accountants working for University of Michigan determined
this multiplier to be 2.4.    Is there a more current figure in use today?

Frances Vinal Farnsworth
Coordinator of Sponsored Research
MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE
Munford House