Re: Post doc and Res.Associate Defined Charlie Hathaway 27 Dec 2000 10:10 EST

Roberta-

We use the term "research associate" as a job title for payroll purposes.  The vast majority (all?) of these people are in "post-doctoral" status.  The term "post doc" is often elongated to "postdoctoral fellow" but the latter may suggest that the person has formally received a fellowship.  It is probably a good idea to administratively categorize all post docs (i.e. non-faculty research/academic staff holding doctoral level degrees) in the same way so they get the same benefits and to recognize their common plight.  They can be paid differently according to experience, source of funds, etc.

Charlie