Re: Prizes/Honoraria Valerie Seaquist 15 Dec 2000 15:50 EST

We would not accept a cash prize or cash honor award through the
Contracts/Grants Office. We would direct it to the Development Office to be
treated as a donation or gift. In cases where we are uncertain of the
donor/awardee's intent we ask them for clarification. We don't want to
process the "award" as a research award/grant and later in the year find
that they were expecting tax credit, etc.

Val Seaquist
Office of Research Administration
The University of Alabama in Huntsville

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Charlie Hathaway
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2000 2:34 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Prizes/Honoraria

Hi-

How do you view/handle a cash prize or honor when the source uses language
such as:

"$XXXX to continue the outstanding work of...."
or
"$XXXX to promote research on...."
or
"honorarium to be used specifically for..." ???

Do you assume no expectations concerning use of funds in the absence of a
statement that awardee may use funds "at his/her discretion"?

Thanks.

Charlie Hathaway

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461-1975
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs