Re: Are you allowing purchasing cards that will charge sponsored rese arch projects directly? Atella,Mary 12 Dec 2000 17:05 EST

Thanks very much for your response.  I will call Caroline.

Mary Atella
Director, Sponsored Programs Services
Colorado State University
phone:   (970) 491-2083
fax:   (970) 491-6147
email:   xxxxxx@colostate.edu

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Wendy Bell [mailto:xxxxxx@PITT.EDU]
Sent:   Tuesday, December 12, 2000 1:52 PM
To:     xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject:        Re: Are you allowing purchasing cards that will charge
sponsored rese arch projects directly?

Mary:

The University of Pittsburgh has implemented the PCard, using all types
of accounts including sponsored accounts as default. The University set
up the administration of the cards through the
departmentaladministrators so that some modicum of  control could be
exerted.  They also restricted the cards to particular classes of
commodities for the control reason (no alcohol, no firearms, no animals,
etc.).

I am at the departmental level and have implemented the cards only with
people (normally lab supervisors, not investigators) with whom I already
have a successful ordering/reporting relationship.  I have also already
removed a card from someone who was not responsible in handling his
purchases.  With regard to the sponsored program accounts, you probably
would benefit from talking with the person in our Research Accounting
office who was responsible for maintaining the integrity of our system
as these cards proliferated:  Caroline Correa (412)-624-6701.  Hope this
helps.

Wendy

Atella,Mary wrote:

> Colorado State University has been piloting the use of a purchasing card,
so
> far on non-sponsored research accounts.  We are now to the point where
some
> faculty are requesting to be allowed to use a purchasing card that will
> directly charge sponsored research accounts (as the "default" account.)
We
> are very reluctant to approve this direct charging for the following
> reasons:
> 1)      It removes the opportunity to review purchases before the
> expenditure is made to determine allowability, reasonableness, etc.
> 2)      The 10-day reallocation period allows sufficient time to move the
> charge from a non-sponsored default account to a sponsored research
account
> should it be deemed appropriate/allowable.
> 3)      Most PIs have access to several accounts which would be more
> suitable choices for a default account than their sponsored research
> account.
>
> We are considering approving a purchase card with a research account as
the
> default ONLY IF: the PI has only one large research project and that is
the
> only account that all charges made by the PI would ever go to.
>
> I would appreciate input from other universities as to whether you are
> allowing purchasing card transactions to be charged directly to sponsored
> agreements.  If no, why not, and if yes, what procedures have you put in
> place to ensure that transactions are properly reviewed and recorded.
>

> Mary Atella
> Director, Sponsored Programs Services
> Colorado State University
> phone:   (970) 491-2083
> fax:   (970) 491-6147
> email:   xxxxxx@colostate.edu

Wendy S. Bell
Administrative Director
Cell Biology & Physiology
School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh

S367 South Biomedical Science Tower
3500 Terrace Street
Pittsburgh, PA  15261

Phone:  412-383-8888
Fax:    412-648-8330
Email:  xxxxxx@pitt.edu

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all."  -Emily Dickinson

"While nothing is lost from the wheel of life, it is also
true that nothing is given to keep."  -Sidney Reger