Re: Electronic Signatures Todd Travis 06 Dec 2000 16:20 EST

I believe that after the passing of the e-bill, electronic signatures are
legally binding for all documents and transactions that an ink signature is
considered legally binding.  However, a digital signature is not just a
scanned image of the ink signature.  A digital signature is actually more of a
coded block of digital information stored within the electronic framework of a
digital document.  It is based on a third-party certificate that must be
applied for (and paid for) and renewed on an annual basis.  It is based on a
two-part digital key structure that is able to validate and ensure that the
document originated with the certificate's owner and has not been altered
since it was signed.  We are in the middle of this process so we are just
learning how involved the process is.
Todd.

Valerie Seaquist wrote:

> We are converting to a bi-weekly after-the-fact payroll system. Presently,
> it is still paper but several remote PI's want to "paste" electronic
> signatures to their time & effort reports and e-mail them to their home
> office for printing & submission to the payroll office.
>
> Are electronic signatures accepted by auditors on after-the-fact labor
> certifications? Is this something that we have to determine internally and
> develop a procedure, etc.? I know that this is the wave of the future but
> sometimes I think I may be drowning under these waves!
>
> Val Seaquist
> Office of Research Administration
> The University of Alabama in Huntsville

Todd C. Travis