Re: subcontracts Herbert B. Chermside 04 Dec 2000 16:16 EST

1)      The F&A on only the first $25K of each subgrant or subcontract will
be in the definition of "MTDC" in your F&A/benefits rate agreement.

2)      "Each" subgrant depends on your business practices and the
sponsor's interpretation.  If you write a separate subgrant each year, you
collect F&A on each one -- but NIH expects that a subgrant will last
throughout the competitively awarded project period (Their interpretation,
not ours!  And I don't know where it is documented -- one of you experts
chime in!.), so you only get one F&A per subawardee per competitive
cycle.  I do not know explicitly of other agencies who have adopted this
cost cutting measure.  NIH certainly hasn't recognized that issuance and
administration of subgrants takes significant administrative effort, and an
increasing amount as NIH adds more and more administrative requirements
which must be flowed down, RCR being merely the latest.

"Supplements" suggests your sponsor may want to limit your F&A to one time
-- but budget it for each year, and if you get cut, you'll know what their
policy is!

Chuck

At 02:21 PM 12/4/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear Resadmers,
>Can anyone tell me where in A-21 (I think) I can find reference to
>charging F&A
>on only the first $25K of all subcontracts.  Our situation is that we are
>putting together a budget for a Cooperative Agreement and submitting a three
>year budget.  The awards will be made annually and called
>"supplements".  We are
>required to submit a new budget for each year.  In the past, we have been able
>to charge F&A on each subcontract for each award year.  Something tells me
>that
>is not the way we're supposed to handle this situation.  Therefore, I'm
>looking
>for the appropriate reference in A-21 or any other words of wisdom that may be
>out there.
>As always, thanks!
>Mary Laura Farnham
>
>Mary Laura Farnham, Director