Re: Question re: Faculty Overload Payments Jessica Lapp 20 Nov 2000 12:47 EST

Craig:

Do you think this email discussion conflicts with our interpretation of A-21 on
the faculty overload vs. consulting issue?  I'm wondering if with the McNair
program we should reevaluate this for next year.  Rose is about ready to chuck
the paid faculty advisors anyway so perhaps it will be a moot point.

Jessica

"Herbert B. Chermside" wrote:

> Under A-21 it is generally inappropriate to pay "overload" for activity on
> a sponsored program.
>
> If the institution has a clear, written policy on overload payment, and a
> specific sponsored program circumstance fits that policy, the cost would be
> allowable.  The policy has to be reasonably related to a true
> overload.  Most that I have seen limit the overload to a semester and
> require both chair and dean approval.  And it cannot be using the
> day-a-week consulting privilege to undertake additional work for the
> employing institution.  A very short sponsored program might create an
> overload situation; a continuing one would not.
>
> Chuck
>
> At 11:39 AM 11/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >I am interested in learning if any of your institutions pay faculty
> >overload, and if so, what are your institution's policies regarding this.
> >
> >Also, how do you reconcile the payment of faculty overload with the
> >statement in OMB A-21 section J.8.d. (1) (Salary rates for academic year),
> >which states that: "Charges for work performed on sponsored agreements by
> >faculty members during the academic year will be based on the individual
> >faculty member's regular compensation for the continuous period which,
> >under the policy of the institution concerned, constitutes the basis of his
> >salary.  Charges for work performed on sponsored agreements during all or
> >any portion of such period are allowable at the base salary rate.  In no
> >event will charges to sponsored agreements, irrespective of the basis of
> >computation, exceed the proportionate share of the base salary for that
> >period.  This principle applies to all members of the faculty at an
> >institution. ....."
> >
> >Thank you.
> >
> >Brenda Dias
> >Grants & Contracts Administrator
> >ODU Research Foundation
> >Phone (757) 683-4293  ext.612
> >Fax (757) 683-5290
> >Email: xxxxxx@odu.edu

> Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
> Director, Sponsored Programs Administration
> Virginia Commonwealth University
> PO BOX 980568
> Richmond, VA  23298-0568
> Express Delivery Only:
>         Sanger Hall, Rm. 1-073
>         11th & Marshall Streets
>         Richmond, VA  23219
> Voice:  804-828-6772
> Fax     804-828-2521
> OFFICE e-mail   xxxxxx@VCU.EDU
> Personal e-mail xxxxxx@vcu.edu
> http://views.vcu.edu/ospa/

Jessica Lapp
Research and Program Officer
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Foust 251
Central Michigan University
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
phone: (517) 774-1903