Re: FastLane Collaborative Proposals Laurie Chamness 02 Nov 2000 14:29 EST

Mark,

Yes, our institution does allow a PI at another institution to be a Co-PI on an
NSF collaborative proposal submitted by our institution. However, we require
separate signed certification pages from each institution. The Co-PI at each
collaborating institution prints out the certification page, signs it, gets his
authorized organizational representative to sign it at the bottom, and sends it
to me. I forward our Cover Sheet and all the original signed certification pages
to NSF.

In submitting collaborative proposals, some of our PI's prefer the "single
proposal" method to the "simultaneous submission" method. According to
NSF 01-2,  GPG Chapter II, Section C.11, b (i): "...at the discretion of the
organizations involved, investigators from any of the participating institutions
may be designated as co-PIs."

Laurie

Mark Abbey wrote:

> My institution is struggling to some degree with collaborative proposals
> submitted via FastLane in which our PI is proposing to work with
> investigators at one or more institutions via a contractual relationship.  I
> would be curious for feedback on the following:
>
> Does your institution allow a PI at another institution to be a Co-PI on a
> proposal submitted by your institution?
>
> Heretofore, we have listed the PI of a collaborating institution as "senior
> personnel,"  and accordingly, they have not signed our certification page.
> It seems rather strange to us to have someone with no affiliation to this
> institution signing our cover page.  However, we've recently encountered
> situations where collaborators have objected to our practice rather
> strongly.
>
> Any information outlining how other institutions are dealing with this would
> be appreciated.
>
> Mark
>
> Mark P. Abbey
> Senior Research Administrator
> The Research Foundation of SUNY
> Office for Sponsored Programs, MSC 312
> University at Albany
> 1400 Washington Avenue
> Albany, New York 12222
> Phone: (518) 437-4554
> Fax: (518) 437-4560
> E-mail: xxxxxx@uamail.albany.edu
> Web Site: http://www.albany.edu/research/office/ofrtop.html

Laurie P. Chamness                    Phone:  (843) 953-4973
Assistant Director                        Fax:  (843) 953-6577
Research & Grants Admin          E-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC  29424