Re: OMB A-122 and Subgrants HopperJanetL@xxxxxx 25 Oct 2000 07:32 EST

David, unfortunately, you are dealing with the Federal Government and they
are not always logical.  Everything I have read from them, says you only get
F&A on the first year regardless of how you handle the re-issuance of the
contract in the following years.

Janet Hopper
Director, Grants and Cost Accounting
Phone (501)686-6841
Fax: (501)296-1295

 -----Original Message-----
 From:   Higginson, David A
[mailto:xxxxxx@EXCHANGE.ACH.UAMS.EDU]
 Sent:   Tuesday, October 24, 2000 6:04 PM
 To:     xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
 Subject:        Re: OMB A-122 and Subgrants

 A more practical scenario may be that a PI is contracting
with an
 institution for the first time and is uncomfortable awarding
a three year
 subcontract. Issuing the contract for one year at a time may
allow the PI to
 review performance after the first term and add additional
productivity
 measures/reporting in the second and third terms if
appropriate. This can
 involve detailed negotiations each year which are
coordinated by the
 Research Support Office. In this case the scope of work may
not change, but
 the contract terms have, and have incurred a great deal of
time and effort
 by the research support personnel (or hired legal help).
Other people may
 have other examples, but this is where it gets hard to apply
generalized
 one-line rules to all the circumstances we encounter.

 On the other end of the spectrum, I've heard of other
institutions that only
 take f&a on the first $25K for the first subcontract to that
institution. So
 they may have multiple subcontracts to one institution,
covering many
 different grants, but only take the F&A the first time they
contract with
 that institution (ever). This would seem to very relevant if
you have many
 grants that all need the same work done (e.g. blood tests)
and everyone uses
 the same outside lab. In this case you could be using the
same boiler plate
 contract for each grant, working with the same person, and
incurring little
 cost/time.

 -David