Re: Administrative structure for sponsored programs Bill Kirby 17 Oct 2000 17:32 EST

As part of the SRA-NACUBO-KPMG Sponsored Programs Benchmarking Project, we
collected data on administrative structures for sponsored programs
administration.
62 institutions, representing over 40% of US academic research expenditures,
participated in the survey. We asked respondants to classify themselves as
follows:

Type 1: General Sponsored Programs Administration (what would generally be
considered "Pre Award") reports to the chief research officer or an academic
officer; Post Award Financial Administration reports to the Controller/CFO
or CBO.

Type 2: The two functions are combined in one office and report to the chief
research officer or an academic officer

Type 3: The two functions are combined and report to the CFO or CBO.

Type 4: The two functions are combined and have dual reporting lines.

Type 5: Other

The results are as follows:

For all institutions:
Type 1: 39 institutions
Type 2: 13
Type 3: 4
Type 4: 2
Type 5:4

For Carnegie R1:
Type 1: 20
Type 2: 4
Type 3: 4
Type 4: 1
Type 5: 3

For Carnegie R2:
Type 1: 11
Type 2: 3
Type 3 and 4: 0
Type 5 1

For D1/D2
Type 1: 8
Type 2: 4
Type 3:0
Type 4: 1
Type 5: 0

These data, as well as other selected results from the survey on staffing
and other activities, will be presented at the SRA Meeting in St. Louis.
Summary data will also be posted on the web following the meeting.

Bill Kirby
KPMG Consulting