Re: Sub grants & Co-PIs Ruth Tallman 17 Oct 2000 11:55 EST

A proposal with a PI from another institution is a Prime-Sub
relationship, pure and simple.   The prime is an institution that has
received the grant and the sub is an institution.  It is up to the two
institutions to make sure the requirements of the grant are met.
Therefore, I believe, it is up to the institution to decide if it's okay
to have the subcontractor PI on the cover page.  I think NSF would agree
(they always remind me that it's our institution's responsibility to
meet the guidelines when I call and ask them to split hairs!).  We allow
subcontractor PI's to be on the cover sheet.  I ask the subcontractor to
submit a signed cover sheet to Lehigh along with their signed budget
sheets so that I have their "certs" when I submit to NSF.

Ruth

Ruth Tallman
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Lehigh University
526 Brodhead Avenue
Bethlehem, PA  18015
Phone:   (610)758-3024