Re: Uncooperative PI Rochelle Athey 13 Oct 2000 14:27 EST

Barbara:

No official policy at my current institution but here are some suggestions
(all of which I have used at one time or another):

- send ever more threatening warnings to the faculty member

- enlist the aid of the faculty member's chair and/or dean to resolve the
issue

- refuse to transfer indirect cost recovery to this faculty member should
your institution have a policy of providing these funds as research
incentive

- refuse to submit new proposals/continuations/renewals for the faculty
member

- covertly inform other faculty members funded by the sponsor about the
recalcitrant PI if the sponsor is threatening to shut off all funds to the
institution

- if your faculty member has left the institution, contact his or her new
employer and let them know about the problem

Rochelle R. Athey
Associate Director
Research Services & Sponsored Programs
The University of Akron