Re: Executive Order 12372 Stephen Erickson 11 Oct 2000 14:00 EST

My understanding of EO 12372 is that it applies to proposals for federal grants. I believe the purpose of the EO was to give states the first crack at funding the proposed projects. Some states (Massachusetts) have exempted
themselves from the coverage of the EO, so we don't have to comply. I may be completely off-base here, but my sense is that even for those states not so exempted, compliance is rare. You are supposed to send the proposal to
your state clearinghouse and see if a state agency wants to fund it before you send it to the federal agency. My bet is that hardly anyone could identify the  clearinghouse in his/her state ---- and that these offices are not
exactly flooded with proposals.

Steve

Carol Brodie wrote:

> Hello, all.  We're applying for an NIDRR (Dept of Educ) grant, and I've run into something new - which, considering I've only been at this grants game for 5 months, is not unusual.
>
> The application asks whether our project is subject to review by E.O. 12372.  I've read through the E.O. several times, and as always happens when I read a government document, my eyes cross and I don't understand a word.
>
> Can someone tell me in what way E.O. 12372 applies to grants?  Does it only come into play when there are also state monies involved in a project?
>
> Looking forward to the wisdom of the group.
> Thanks,
>
> Carol A. Brodie
> Sponsored Programs Administrator
> University of the Pacific
> 3601 Pacific Ave.
> Stockton, CA  95211
> Phone:  209-946-7356     Fax:  209-946-2858
> xxxxxx@uop.edu

Stephen Erickson, Director
Office of Research Administration
Boston College