Re: NSF PI Salary Question Hawk, Pat 06 Oct 2000 09:57 EST

Tania,

You've probably already received an answer for this, but NSF's "2-month"
policy refers to "summer salary for faculty members on academic-year
appointments is limited to no mroe than two-ninths of their regular
academic-year salary." (quote from NSF's Grant Policy Guide) So if your
faculty are on academic year (9-month) appointments, this would apply.

The guide also indicates NSF views research as a "normal" function for
faculty members and that pay for time spent on research "within the term of
appointment is deemed to be included with the faculty member's regular
organizational salary."  (again, from p. 14 of the Grant Policy Guide).
What they're trying to say is that they generally don't expect to see
academic year salary on grant budgets.  However, your institution's policies
and the nature of that particular project have to determine whether academic
year salary is an appropriate charge, and of course, if your faculty are on
calendar year appointments as opposed to academic year appointments, then
they are paid by calendar months, and the two-ninths thing doesn't apply.

If this doesn't help, I'd be glad to e-chat with you directly.

Pat

Patricia A. Hawk
Sponsored Projects Administrator
5219 University of Oregon