Re: retention of final financial and techincal reports Herbert B. Chermside 03 Oct 2000 14:16 EST

Pat's response shows her wonderful experience and wisdom.  I'd like to
bring up one other related matter.

The institution should have a policy on ownership, storage, and access to
technical information.  The final technical report should be stored in
accordance with that, BUT IN ADDITION certain offices should have the
information that the report was sent, to whom, and when.  One
policy/procedure is that the PI is responsible to submit the report and to
send a copy of the letter of transmittal to X office(s).  This policy
should take cognizance of the fact that some sponsors require some sort of
supervisory or central office co-signature on the submittal.

As to data ownership and storage, institutions vary greatly.  In my
experience, most academics have the attitude, "I wrote it, therefore its
mine!"  Hence the PI's can usually be relied on to expect to keep those
reports -- but for how long, or can they find them, is another
matter.  Some are both organized and compulsive, and others, well ....  And
are they willing to share?  Do they understand that A-110 language expects
that the "grantee" (monolithic entity that it is!) owns and controls the
results?  What happens when the PI departs?

Maybe electronic record keeping can help.  If the storage space
requirements become small, maybe both the PI and a central repository
should have copies.

Now, didn't that make your life simpler?

Chuck

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO BOX 980568