Re: retention of final financial and techincal reports Hawk, Pat 03 Oct 2000 13:42 EST

Mary,

A lot of what you ask depends on how each institution has its "system" set
up, and separate pre- and post-award offices need some coordination in this
area, but here's some things to remember.

If you look at A-110 (sometimes I think I need more of a life if I can sit
and rattle off A-110 requirements), it says that your institution isn't
supposed to submit the final financial report until the final technical
report has been submitted.  So while your post-award section doesn't need a
copy of the report, it sure does need to know when it's okay to submit the
financial report.  You in the pre-award side need to know when the financial
status report has been submitted so that your "file retention clock" can
start ticking.  You should have either copies of your final technical
reports, transmittal letters, or that e-mail notification you get from
FastLane showing submission of a report, in your pre-award office files so
that (a) there's evidence of submission and (b) you can show that you've met
the conditions of the award (we got asked about this on our A-133 audit last
year).

I don't think you need to keep a copy of the financial reports in your file,
and I don't think the post-award side needs a copy of the technical reports,
but both of you need to know that the other office has them (this is where
"checklists" come in handy).  And actually, if you're like most institutions
(even though we're an integrated pre- and post-award office), your
"official" file is probably comprised of what's in the PI's file as well as
what's in your pre- and post-award office files.  PIs quite often have
correspondence, payment documents, travel approvals, etc. that are part of
the entire official file.

So have I helped any?

Pat

Patricia A. Hawk