Re: Human Subjects Education II Barbara LoDico 14 Sep 2000 13:52 EST

At UMDNJ we have implemented a mandatory web based training program for
human subjects protection with a web based test.  This is the first of six
or so modules that will cover all of the research education requirements
from ORI.

At the completion of the HS protection course and test, there is an
automated certificate that is printed out so the investigator can present it
when needed to document their completion of training.  We set the bar at a
minimum of 80% on the test.

Then if anyone needs CME or CEU credits, they fill out an evaluation and
apply for the 3 contact hours and then the Office of Continuing Education
sends them a formal credit form for this part.

Our programers have programmed in a listing of all those who have taken and
passed the course.  If someone fails the course more than twice, then they
will receive remedial help from their dean prior to being allowed to take
the course again.

The course, test, evaluation, issue of certificate of completion for the
course and the CME credit notices are all automatically distributed with
appropriate listings of course completion to those individuals that need to
have that information (ie Deans, IRB Office, Research Office).

Our president notified all of the faculty of this requirement, then followed
up with long on instructions when the training was on-line to emphasize the
importance of this.  Also each faculty was told that this was the only
acceptable training at this institution.

I hope this helps.

P.S. If you want to log on to a summary of the course you can address it at
http://www.umdnj.edu/ and click on research and it is accessable on this
page.

Barbara J. LoDico
IRB Administrator