Re: Human Subjects Education Charlie Hathaway 14 Sep 2000 10:51 EST

Inasmuch as the education requirement applies to "proposals involving human subjects", and exempt research is still involves human subjects (e.g. unidentifiable cell lines), the ruling and its requirements would seem to still apply to these researchers.

At 10:08 AM 9/14/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Questions on the new Human Subjects Education requirement that goes into
>effect on September 1.
>
>Exempt research proposals are still reviewed by our IRB Chair to ensure
>they are indeed exempt and that the principles of informed consent and
>confidentiality are still adhered to.  Shouldd the education requirement
>still apply?  How are you handling this on your campuses?
>
>And, does anyone know if the educational requirement differentiates in
>terms of research eligible for expedited review and research requiring full
>committee review?

>Nancy Kay Peterson
>Director of Grants & Sponsored Projects
>Somsen Hall Room 202-C
>Winona State University
>Winona, MN  55987
>
>Phone:  507.457.5519
>Fax:       507.457.2415
>xxxxxx@winona.msus.edu
>http://www.winona.msus.edu/grants/

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461-1975
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs