Re: Supply "Guidance" on NIH grants Barbara Gray 31 Aug 2000 11:18 EST

Debbie,
I have one faculty member who thinks there is a summer research "standard" in
chemistry of $3,500 per FTE for expendable supplies (chemicals, glassware, and
the like) and continues to use this when he does his budgets for ACS, PRF, and
NSF.  But I have yet to hear of this from any other faculty member or sponsor.
Interesting question!
Barbara

"Deborah (Debbie) L. Smith" wrote:

> First, let me apologize to any of you who received the "virus" from me in
> the last couple of days . . . I tried to stop it before it got to all of my
> address book . . . but you probably know how quickly those things work.
>
> And thanks to all of you who offered suggestions for getting rid of the
> virus . . . my computer folks were already on it before this list got it.
>
> Now, to today's question:  A faculty member just asked me if I knew the
> "ballpark" figure the NIH folks use as a guidance for supplies . . . he
> thinks there's a certain amount per FTE.
>
> Does anyone know anything about that . . . and what the ballpark "per FTE"
> amount might be for supplies??
>
> I told him to just use a reasonable amount and if it seems unreasonable to
> be sure to justify it.
>
> Thanks again for your usual help.
>
> Debbie Smith
> xxxxxx@utmem.edu