Re: Institutional Policy for Tuition on Grant Budgets Paul C. Parker 28 Aug 2000 12:12 EST

 At State University of New York, Binghamton, we have an internal policy
that requires the budgeting of tuition costs in proposals to non federal
sponsors up to $1200 per semester or $2400 per year if we are requesting
support for an assistantship.  Usually tuition costs exceed this amount and
the university provides the remaining tuition scholarship support.  If
tuition costs are less than the $2400 per year (i.e. student may be taking
only one credit of dissertation year study) then we permit the project
director to rebudget funds for other uses.

 Paul Parker, Director
 Sponsored Funds Administration

At 09:27 AM 8/28/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi there!
>We are curious as to the sorts of policies that other institutions might
>have regarding the inclusion of graduate student tuition (tuition
>specifically, as opposed to assistantships) in investigator-initiated,
>research grant budgets (assuming such costs are allowable by the agency).
>That is, are institutions asking/requiring/suggesting that PIs include this
>in their grants and, if so, how is the activity of inclusion monitored or
>assured?  If you have a formal policy, at what level does
>oversight/accountability lie (department, college/school, institution).
>Any weblinks to those policies or information on institutional philosophy
>about this would also be really helpful.
>
>Thanks!
>Polly Newlon
>
>Pauline G. Newlon, Ph.D.
>Director of Research Development