Re: Retired Faculty Eligibility for NSF Grant Ross, Stuart 25 Aug 2000 00:53 EST

My understanding has always been that retirement status is not a formal bar
to eligibility, becasue the agencies know senior people can be productive.
But there may be a presumption by reviewers that the university will not
give a retired professor full support for space, clerical support, etc.  So
if you clarify that the university will make the requisite commitments to
the professor, then there should not be a major problem.  We had a retired
professor run a major NIH grant for several years.

Stuart A. Ross
California State University, Fullerton

-----Original Message-----
From: Marjorie Piechowski [mailto:xxxxxx@WPPOST.DEPAUL.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 12:21 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Retired Faculty Eligibility for NSF Grant

Colleagues, I need some advice on whether a retired faculty member is
eligible to apply for NSF support.  He's a mathematician who needs no
facilities or resources that involve the university;  basically, he wants a
stipend, some travel money, a computer, and some clerical support.  I'd
appreciate any advice or comment on whether he's eligible and whether any of
you have been successful in getting funding for retired faculty.  He has had
NSF and NSA grants in the past and is quite well known in his field.