Re: Signing authority Howard M. Kaplan 10 Aug 2000 07:56 EST

Mike -

 On July 26, I raised the same question for our listserv colleagues.
Several people responded to the entire list (see the RESADM-L Archives for
July; under the heading, "Authorized Signature" Policies).  Several others
responded directly to me.  I am pulling together all the responses for
several colleagues who asked me to share anything I receive.  I will be
happy to add you to that group.

Howie Kaplan

Director, Research Services & Sponsored Progs.
Georgia Southern University
Hwy. 301 So. Office Bldg., P.O. Box 8005
Statesboro, GA 30460-8005
912-681-5465; FAX: 912-681-0719
xxxxxx@gasou.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Mike Gilles
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 9:19 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Signing authority

Who at your institution has signing authority for Grants and Contracts?  Do
your Contracts Office/Research Services personnel (Director, Contracts
Officers), have authority to sign agreements?  What types of limitations are
put on signing agreements in your office?  Are there dollar threshold
limits,
cost share amounts that you can sign off on, etc.?  We have a new Provost
coming aboard and our Vice-Provost for Research is retiring and this seemed
like the time to re-evaluate this policy at our institution.  I would
appreciate knowing how other universities function in this regard.
Presently
all agreements are signed by either the Vice Provost for Research or a Vice
President or the President.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mike

Mike Gilles <xxxxxx@mtu.edu>