Re: Gift or Grant Herbert B. Chermside 02 Aug 2000 12:49 EST

We differentiate between gifts and "awards" (general term to cover many
sins!) in that the former have no restrictions and the latter require the
institution to do something.  Gifts are handled by University Advancement
and agreements by OSPA.  Hence, once it is in the system it is easy to
differentiate.

The only problem is the grey area between what I loosely call a "directed
gift" and what's really an agreement.  Our griteria for differentiating are at:
http://views.vcu.edu/ospa/OSPA_Guidelines/Preamble.html

Good Luck!

Chuck

At 11:38 AM 8/2/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Have any of you ever run across cases in which gifts look like grants when
>it comes to NIH other support? NIH does not want you to report "gifts", but
>what if you track the gift like a grant and the gift becomes part of the
>investigator's research administration portfolio along with the other
>grants?
>
>Common sense seems to dictate reporting the gift as other support so your
>reporting is consistent, but NIH's instructions say, "No longer included are
>training awards, prizes or GIFTS."
>
>Anyone out there like to split hairs?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tim
>
>Tim Atkinson
>Director, Research Support Center
>Arkansas Children's Hospital Research Institute
>Little Rock, AR 72202
>V: 501-320-3581
>F: 501-320-2705

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA