Re: Who may serve as PI? Herbert B. Chermside 02 Aug 2000 07:56 EST

There are two different "PI" functions: planning and accomplishing the
project, and having the authority within the institution to accomplish
certain institutional functions related tot the accomplishment, most
notably the authority to spend funds in the account.  Some institutions
fail to note the difference.

At VCU any individual who serves as PI/PD IN THE ROLE OF THE PERSON
RESPONSIBLE FOR INSTITUTIONAL DIRECTION OF THE PROJECT must be an
employee.  An employee has responsibilities and authorities within and
toward the institution which a non-employee does not, which are appropriate
and necessary to the appropriate direction/management of a
project.  Because we are a state institution, many of these are defined by
law as well as or in addition to what may be in individual contracts
(faculty have contracts but other employees do not).

Generally this extends to PI/PD on the proposal/application, but not
always.  For example, the recipient of a fellowship is seldom an
employee.  For that reason, we define a specific responsible employee as PD
for a fellowship -- usually the fellow's mentor.

Determination that an individual is appropriately qualified to be PI/PD ON
THE PROPOSAL is a line management responsibility: chair and dean (or
equivalent).  Centrally we would become involved in this determination only
if there are special requirements or limitations the sponsor imposes that
academic management would not normally be aware of.

Chuck

At 09:24 AM 8/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
>What are the conditions a person must meet to be listed as PI on a grant
>application from your school?  I'm interested in 3 aspects of eligibility:
>faculty status, employment, and agents.
>*       Do you let other than full time faculty submit applications,
>i.e."adjunct" faculty or others who have formally been designated as
>"faculty" but are something other than full time faculty?
>*       Must a person be on the school's payroll  to submit an application?
>*       Finally, the last time I asked this question, one respondent told me
>about agency agreements--an agreement which establishes a person as an
>"agent" of your school instead of an employee, and which can be used to
>confer the right to apply for a grant.  Does anyone have experience with
>these?
>
>Peter J. Dolce, Ph.D., Director
>Office of Research Support Services
>Meharry Medical College