Re: Consequences of Delinquent Reports Hawk, Pat 25 Jul 2000 13:32 EST

Okay, I'm writing for a "friend at another institution."  You've hit some of
highlights below, but keep in mind that those reporting requirements are
terms and conditions of the agreement, so if one is not meeting the terms
and conditions of the agreement, you've already mentioned some repercussions
from that, but there are others.  The sponsor can "annul" the agreement (I
believe that's the term they used when I was working at EPA), which of
course means the agreement never existed, which means your institution has
to refund any monies spent.

Another potential "bad thing" is the sponsor (federal in this case of
course) can declare your institution (not just the PI) ineligible to receive
further funding from their agency if delinquent reports weren't submitted.
The second part of the being declared ineligible is that they would also
turn the grant file over to their Inspector General's office to determine if
their agency should seek recovery of grant funds that have already been
provided.

Then of course, there's the excellent potential of being "written up" in
your A-133 audit for failing to submit reports per the terms of the
agreement, which means your institution has to respond to the audit finding
and provide a corrective action plan.

You ought to check out the Section in A-110 on Termination and
Enforcement--you'll find it after the section of record retention.  You'll
see that each agency can devise its own little plan for dealing with
recipients with a history of poor performance.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Patricia A. Hawk
Sponsored Projects Administrator