Re: Alcatel Stephen Erickson 19 Jul 2000 09:48 EST

The tactic used by the sponsor in this case is pretty typical. There seems to be
a direct relationship working here -- that is, the worse the contract language,
the more likely you are to hear from the sponsor that everyone else has accepted
it. I'm also reminded of something our parents used to ask us --- "So, if all
the other kids want to jump off the Brookyn Bridge, does that mean you have
to?!?!"  If we were desperate enough, of course, we would tell ourselves,
"Yeah!!....but on further reflection, jumping off that bridge with all the other
kids really didn't seem like such a hot idea after all.

--
Stephen Erickson, Director
Office of Research Administration