Re: Employee Bonuses Stephen Erickson 18 Jul 2000 10:31 EST

If you are talking about faculty, A-21 is very explicit on this matter. See Section J.8.d.  Compensation is to be based on the the faculty member's "regular compensation."  You are
correct that the word "bonus" never appears, but I would say any additional income would fall under the category of "extra compensation" and would be subject the the criteria stated
in J.8.d.  Furthermore, it would require prior approval by the sponsoring agency.

If you are not talking about faculty, but rather staff positions, I think the general principle that all compensation is proportionally based on work performed applies. It would not
be acceptable to increase someone's salary just because they were paid from federal project funds. Similarly, unless "bonuses" were paid for additional work, and clearly based on an
individual's regular compensation, then I believe an auditor would find the expenses unallowable. In short, giving someone a "bonus" as we typically think of it as a reward for
doing a good job will raise a lot of red flags.

Steve

Bryant Helms wrote:

> Would someone be willing to share their institutional policy on awarding employee bonuses under sponsored research grants? ...more specifically under federal sponsored programs.
>
> The agency involved doesn't explicitly address this in their regulations nor does OMB A-21.
>
> Please feel free to contact me directly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bryant Helms
> Grants & Contracts Administrator
> ODU Research Foundation