Re: forfeited overhead policies F. John Case 17 Jul 2000 10:37 EST

Martha,

We at UNC do not have such a policy.  Just as a point that I'm sure you have
mentioned to them, there are facilities and administrative costs related to any
size sponsored research agreement.  If you forfeit the reimbursement of those
costs - some other part of the institutional revenue stream subsidizes this
project.

This is the first I have heard of inistitutions having this type of policy.
Companies of any size (small or large) that you are working with should
understand overhead costs and the need to recover them.

John

"Martha M. Taylor" wrote:

> Do any universities out there have a policy for forfeiting F&A under
> certain circumstances (non-sponsor imposed)?  For example, does anyone have
> a threshold for automatic forfeiture - such as $10,000 or less?  I just
> need a simple head count of those who do and maybe a brief statement of any
> special circumstances or approvals required for such. I have a meeting
> later today and the same ol' question will come up again about the
> possibility of forfeiting F&A on any agreements $10,000 or less so small
> companies can work with us more.  Our standard response up to this point
> has been why should we lose money so we can get more business from the same
> sponsor so we can lose more money?????  If we have to cost share as part of
> our public mission then so be it but why should it always be forfeited i/c?
>
> The latest tactic in the battle was an INFORMAL list of universities that
> have a policy of forfeiting F&A for anything less than $10K.  I don't
> believe it (have already received a response from one of the schools on the
> list that said it ain't so)  but thought I would check anyway.
>
> Please respond to me directly since I kind of need the info immediately and
> am set-up to receive the RESADM-L info in digest form which comes in the
> middle of the night.
>
> xxxxxx@auburn.edu
>
> thanks much

F. John Case